Officially the college began in 1949, at some of the most unlikely sites: high schools, banks, churches, even an old military camp. Called East Contra Costa Junior College, we moved to our current site in 1952, in ten steel buildings purchased for $45 each from the Government. In 1953 the cornerstone was laid for the first permanent structure, and in 1958 the name Diablo Valley College was adopted.
We have come a long way since that humble launch. Since 1949 more than a million and a half students have enrolled here! As we salute our heritage, we look forward to another 50 years of serving one of the most diverse, educational-minded areas in Northern California.
Diablo Valley College has been providing quality education to the community they serve for more than 70 years. One million students later, DVC enrollment is one of the best ways to ensure acceptance at a four year college. Not only is DVC regarded as one of the best community colleges in California but it also leads the state into four-year institutions.
Research estimates published recently by the Center for the Study of Community Colleges at UCLA show that the transfer rate of DVC to four-year universities is 67 percent higher than the national average. Another study published by the California Post-secondary Education Commission shows that DVC ranked number one in the state's transfers, ahead of all other community colleges in California.
A brief history of our land shows us that the Costanoan Indians were originally home to this place. In 1844, William Welch was granted the land by the Mexican government, and it became part of his large Rancho Las Juntas, which included northwest Walnut Creek, all of Pleasant Hill, and northeast half of Martinez. The property was subdivided into residential tracts after World War II, and the College Board of Trustees bought the DVC site for $172,500 on October 5, 1950. Building commenced in September 1951.
You'll find a diverse educational climate and a fun atmosphere at DVC with more than 28,000 students of all ages and a variety of programmes. Our Pleasant Hill campus is located off Interstate 680, and the campus is located on one hundred acres of gently rolling hills overlooking Mt. Diablo, a landmark in northern California. In November 2006 the San Ramon Valley Center opened its doors to students in Dougherty Valley. In 2011 the name Campus San Ramon was adopted.
All of our beautifully landscaped sites are within walking distance of San Francisco, providing the perfect environment for California 's largest transfer organization. We are the college of choice for many students in nearby Martinez, Mt. Diablo, San Ramon, and Acalanes School Districts from the private and public high schools.
This amazing landmark in Pleasant Hill, California is located near some other must-see places of interest:
- Pleasant Hill Library
- Diablo Valley College
- John F. Kennedy University
- Paul Mitchell the School
- Brookwood Park
- Rodgers-Smith Park
- Dinosaur Hill Park
- Paso Nogal Park
- Pleasant Hill Aquatic Park
All of these wonderful landmarks are located just a short distance from our location at 1261 Locust Street in Walnut Creek California! Stop by for a visit anytime!