Naval Weapons Station
Military Ocean Terminal Concord, 5110 Port Chicago Hwy, Concord, CA 94520
Concord Naval Weapons Station was a military base built north of Concord City , California on the shore of the Sacramento River in 1942, where it extended into Suisun Bay. The station served as a storage depot for armaments from World War II, supplying ships at Port Chicago. This also had a Naval Outlying Field at the south end of the base during World War II. It ceased to be an operational airfield after World War II. Concord NWS stored and transported thousands of tons of material through the Pacific Ocean during the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Gulf War.
The station consisted of two areas: the Inland Area (5 028 acres (2 035 ha)), which is within the city limits of Concord, and the Tidal Area (7 088 ha). Owing to shifts in military activities, parts of the Inland Region began to be mothballed, and by 1999 the station had only a small contingent of military personnel and mostly included empty munitions storage bunkers, empty warehouses and disused support structures. In 2007, the U.S. federal government declared it will close the Naval station's Inland Sector. The base's Tidal area was not timed for closure.
Concord's 5-member City Council, acting as the federally appointed Local Redevelopment Authority, is in the process of formulating a Reuse Plan for the Inland Area that involves residential and industrial development while reserving about two-thirds for open space and park projects. Town staff are assigned to oversee the project. The Reuse Plan is subject to Navy approval.
The East Bay Regional Park District will receive 2.540 acres (1028 hectares) of the Inland Area which will be developed as Concord Hills Regional Park for public use. The land is scheduled to be officially leased in early 2016, following which the land will be prepared for public access and recreation.
Superfund cleanup site
The Concord NWS was identified on 16 December 1994 as a Superfund disposal site. 32 Construction areas have been reported as polluted with heavy metals including zinc, copper, lead, cadmium, and arsenic, as well as semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOC) and organochloride pesticides. The risk to the endangered salt marsh harvest mouse and the California clapper rail is one area of great concern. Land remediation is underway at the base with some areas having soil drained and some being sealed to prevent pollutants from spreading.
Control of the site was altered in 2008. The Inland Area became a Detachment of Seal Beach Naval Arms Station pending closure. The Tidal Area has been transferred into the United States. Army Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) and is now known as the Concord Military Ocean Terminal (MOTCO). This facility was also used by the United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Diablo Squadron and Training Ship Concord.
This amazing landmark in Concord, California is located near some other must-see places of interest:
- Baldwin Community Park
- Buchanan Field Airport
- Concord Pavilion
- Concord Skatepark
- Dave Brubeck Park
- Lime Ridge Open Space
- Markham Regional Arboretum
- Newhall Community Park
All of these wonderful landmarks are located just a short distance from our location at 1261 Locust Street in Walnut Creek California! Stop by for a visit anytime!